Kids love riding Bikes and they don’t want anything more than Bikes that look like Dirt Bikes. Gifting them a piece of this – will leave smiles on their faces forever – or for at least 5-6 years until they are riding it. But handing over an actual dirt bike or an electric bike is not safe for the young guns.
Moreover when we are talking about 2 year kids then balance is also something to look for – and it is always good to be safe. So give them the looks they want and eliminate the risks. And the safest you can be is to offer them Bikes that look like dirt bikes with pedals! This completely excludes all the worrying portions and makes the children and the parents both happy.
Wandering Biker’s team reviewed several electric bikes for adults and kids. And has reviewed a few bikes that look like dirt bikes and has short listed two on the basis of built, safety durability and price.
Bikes that look like dirt bikes: Our picks
1. Yamaha Moto 16″ BMX Bike
The first one is from Yamaha – a leading bike manufacturer and a trusted brand in the world of motorbikes. Yamaha’s Moto 16″ BMX has all the variables that you need to look before buying a gift for your kid.
The Moto 16″ BMX is a regular two wheeler designed to look like a dirt bike and doesn’t feature a motor. It is suitable for children in 2-12 years range.
Built and Durability
- The bike is built with a steel over-sized frame which can carry up to 100 lbs weight. The frame is a motorcycle style and is not adjustable.
- Comes with steel handlebars which are adjustable. you can easily adjust the handle bars with a crescent wrench or a good set of pliers.
- Yamaha has installed 12 inches Knobby tires or Off-road tires which use deep tread to provide more traction on unpaved surfaces such as loose dirt, mud, sand, or gravel. The tires can be converted to 14 inches ones because the rim is of 16 inches.
- Front Brakes are quite effective – but the bike does not feature pedal brakes.
- No gear system is provided – which means it only features one break and no complication of gear changing.
- As if falls under the genre Bikes that look like dirt bikes with pedals – training wheels are included. So if your kid is new to bike riding and still has not evolved to proper balancing you can install the training wheels.
- Is equipped with a MotoCross look alike saddle seat and has authentic Yamaha graphics with decals all over its body which adds style giving it a distinctive appearance.
- It also comes with MotoCross style fenders to enhance the look.
Safety and Price
- With the pedals and strong frame built the bike is very safe for the kids.
- No electrical equipment is also installed – which makes them safe for the kids.
- Considering the brand and the design (Dirt Bike Design) the bike seems fairly priced – on amazon you can get this delivered in around 100 dollars. Walmart have this at a cheaper price but they are selling only the 12″ model – this one is quite a bit larger (16′) and is more suitable for the 4 – 6 year old with longer legs.
- Second important thing is the durability of the product. The bike will easily last for 5 – 7 years if properly maintained. So looking at the time factor – the price value is nothing in comparison to other gifts which we buy for kids – which does not last this long.
- Amazon delivers it in a well packaged with zip-tied cardboard covers on components to prevent scratching.
- Assembly is very easy. In fact the bike can be assembled by your 4 year old kid as well. You don’t need any expert advise or you-tube video to understand the assembly process.
- The bike is available in blue color only. Although blue goes for males and female kids both – still a few options would be appreciable.
- It does not feature a kickstand and it doesn’t come with front or rear reflectors. You have to come up with a solution for yourself.
- The seat is not adjustable which sometimes make handlebars and pedals out of reach for 2 years old having a small height.
Overall Rating as a Non-Electric bike
2. Qaba Aosom 6V Electric Dirt Bike
Aosom is a reputed company and Aosom’s 6V Electric Dirt Bike is an awesome product. You can place it in Bikes that look like dirt bikes category or in Dirt Bikes category. The MotocCoss look and feel will appeal a lot many kids. And the sturdy built will make it a perfect choice for riding on mud, wet grass, and rutted dirt,and almost all difficult terrains.
But you must have noticed that this is an electric bike unlike the Yamaha’s Moto 16″ BMX (discussed earlier) which does not feature electrical assist mode. And being an electric bike – Qaba Aosom is well suited to kids above 6 years of age, unlike the former one – which can be bought for two year kids too. But one thing is for sure that the bike makes a perfect choice for gifting your small ones!
Let us look at this bike’s features:
Built and Durability
- The material used in the frame is PP and Iron which makes the built very strong. The bike weighs around 18 lbs and is ideal for 55 lbs of maximum weight.
- Bike’s overall dimensions are – 40.2″L x 20.9″W x 26″H
- Wheels Dimensions are – 12.2″ x 3″W and has Knobby tires or Off-road tires which use deep tread to provide more traction on unpaved surfaces such as loose dirt, mud, sand, or gravel.
- It features a comfortable Seat which is quite spacious but is nonadjustable.
- The bike can reach a top speed of 2.5 mph which is just perfect for your kid. It is a safe speed if your kid bikes on busy roads too!
- It come with a Built-in 6V, 4 AH Lead-acid Battery and can be full charged in 6-8 hours. On a full charge the bike can run for 45 minutes at stretch.
- The bike comes with a charger and in case you loose it, you can easily purchase it from amazon.
- MotoCross Design and cool fenders give it an attractive look.
Safety and Price
- Bike has a 500 MA engine, which is more than enough for this kind of bike. The powerful engine ensures better pick up, enhanced performance and an overall long life for the bike.
- The bike can be converted to 12 volts battery with a higher amp circuit breaker which makes it go in the grass and other difficult terrains. If your kid is riding in the grass then hot glue to the tires and do not forget to clean the rear tires with alcohol.
- The bike comes with added safety wheels on either side – which makes it comfortable even for starters. The wheels are also useful when riding with speeds. Side Wheel Dimensions are 3.1″ x 0.6″W.
- Bike has following Certifications: ASTM, F963, CPSIA
- The bike lies in a 100 – 120 dollars range. This price is almost unbelievable considering that this is an electric bike and comes from a respected manufacturer.
- The bike comes in a single color variant – Red. Although red attracts the kids but different shades would have been better from marketing point of view.
- Aosom should have necessarily provided headlights in the bike for a safe ride in harsh climates. This is an important feature which is lacking in the bike.
The bike will easily last for 5 years. So looking at the time factor – the price value is peanuts. The most important consideration is that this is an electric bike – and finding an electric bike at this price is almost unbelievable.
Overall Rating as an Electric Dirt Bike
If your kid starts riding bikes and cycles at an early age then go for the Yamaha’s Moto 16″ BMX – which is good for him/her till 5 years. After 5 years you can switch to the Qaba Aosom 6V Dirt Bike – which will easily last for another 5 years. And both the bikes are very economical and will not leave a hole in your pockets!