ON A BIKE NO ONE EVER ASKS “ARE WE THERE YET?”
But your biking experience is at lack, if you don’t have a bag to carry your luggage around. Motorcycles do not accommodate a lot of stuff!
You need some sort of luggage at most of your rides. For instance, a ride to your gym will need you to carry an extra pair of shoes, and a towel, or a ride to your work-place makes a laptop essential. Even if you are biking for fun, you need to carry some luggage.
Various types of motorcycle luggage are available in the market. There are
- saddle bags,
- tank bags,
- Windshield bags, to name a few
But none of these can be as handy as a backpack.
As the name suggests, backpacks are to be worn by the riders, and are not meant to be mounted on the bikes. Remember mounting any sort of luggage on your motorcycle, imbalances its gear, and makes your ride a little uncomfortable. And hence while riding, the best place for your possessions is your back and the best equipment for it – is your backpack.
Because of its essentiality and importance you need to choose backpacks wisely.
Here are four essentials that you should look for before buying a backpack:
1) Your body size
The best backpack is the one that fits your body the best. You need to consider two things, your torso length (not your height) and your hip size.
Choose a backpack which has adjustable shoulder and hip belts. These can be adjusted according to your posture, and can be used by any one.
A quick tip on how to wear backpacks:
- Put the pack on. Now, adjust the hip-belt until the padding touches the top of your hip bones, and not anywhere above or below it. If the pack feels low or high, tighten or loosen (according to the need) the shoulder-straps. This will raise or lower the hip-belt. The most comfortable position of your wear is when the hip-belt is located at the top of your hip bones. In this position you will feel the least pressure.
2) Your luggage specifications
Choose a backpack which can accommodate your necessary luggage. If you ride to your office, you might need a backpack having a separate compartment for your laptop and a compartment for your files and other office stuffs. For this a medium size pack will do. Whereas if you need backpacks for your fun activities or terrain riding, you need to have a bigger size, which can have sufficient space for your clothes, shoes, and sometimes even a bed-roll.
Design is a very important aspect when you are buying a backpack. Always prefer an aerodynamic built. Drag plays an important role in your biking experience. If your backpack is not of the best shape, it will affect your speed and ultimately the fuel consumption. And an aerodynamic shape will give you a cruising effect.
Second most important thing to look when selecting the design – is a helmet-strap. You will never prefer to ride without best head gears for your protection (Can be linked, with best Bluetooth helmets). This makes a strap for the helmet in your backpack a necessity and this is what makes a specialized backpack stand out from others.
Visual attractiveness has its importance too. You will never want to look dull, whether you are riding an expensive Harley, Ducati or even if you are riding an economic bike. So choose an attractive one, which will make commuters feel your presence on the road.
It is very important to choose a good quality backpack. Primarily because it has to withstand weather conditions, dust and speed. Secondly you are not going to change backpacks often like your clothes or shoes.
Look for –
- the quality and the type of fabric (I personally avoid leather ones),
- the stitches (it should be sewed properly),
- the sponges on the belts, (belts should be soft and thick)
- waterproofing (if not completely, the front part should be essentially waterproofed)
Choose quality over price. A lot of low quality very economic backpacks are available in the market, but they do not withstand the test of weather and time. Do not throw away your dollars on backpacks which are not the worth.
Based on the discussion of backpacks above, I have selected five most interesting models currently available on the market, taking into account – their fit, their quality, their design and their sizes. These are the ones to go for from the many. I am suggesting them, because I have tried some of them myself – and have done a thorough market analysis for the rest.
Best Motorcycle Backpacks on Amazon
1) OGIO MACH 5 NO DRAG 24.17 LITERS
OGIO’S – NO DRAG series is very popular, and this is their latest addition.
Dimensions – 7″ D x 20.5″ H x 14.5″ W
Color – Stealth
- an awesome aerodynamic built,
- molded outer shell made of hard plastic,
- helmet-strap, and thick shoulder straps,
- water resistant fabric, with which you don’t need any additional rain cover,
- reflective stripes, which shine brightly providing extra safety from getting hit from the back.
The best thing about this backpack is that it is expandable, which means you can easily carry a 15 inch laptop or other large stuff. Secondly it comes with many compartments and thick padded straps, which makes it perfect for your stuff and for your shoulders. The unique turtle shape design and color of this backpack is enough to turn eyes around.
This backpack is best for office goers and college going students.
Limited edition OGIO MACH 5 is available in Red Color. It looks stunning and very attractive. Have a look here.
2) Seibertron Motorbike Backpack 37 LITERS
Almost two times more spacious than Mach 5, this is a backpack you need if you are carrying a lot of stuff.
Dimensions – 11″ D x 11″ W x 19″ H
Color – Black and Khaki
- 37 Liters holding capacity, which can accommodate almost 5 days clothing and a pair of shoes,
- chest belt, to provide extra protection from falling off,
- waterproofed fabric, although the zippers and pinholes are not water resistant, (Mach 5’s zippers are also coated with plastic from beneath)
- Molle (Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) Design, which gives it a military look.
This product has a lot of straps and you can’t stop them from flapping around, but this is the only complaint about it. Overall it is the best economic backpack available in the market.
This backpack is best for adventure bikers and useful when you are going hiking, camping or travelling.
3) VELOMACCHI Roll-Top Waterproof Backpack 28 LITERS
Velomacchi Roll-Top is a premium brand backpack crafted with best fiber, having many additional accessories that other backpacks lack.
Dimensions – 12.5″ W x 19.5″ H x 8″ D
Color – Black
- highest level of waterproofing,
- a magnetic roll top closing main compartment,
- 3-Point harness system for better safety,
- abrasion resistant construction,
- camera mounting plate,
- aluminum hands-free helmet clip,
- anchor points for motorcycle tie down,
- magnetic sternum coupler – for hands free harness closure,
- and many more interesting handy equipments.
Even though it is heavy on price, this is a backpack I would suggest you should go for. Primarily this is a “go anywhere” backpack, i.e. you can commute it to work, use it for explore trails, mountain climbing, hiking and what not.
Secondly this is a “one-time buy” because it is least affected by weather and dust. And most importantly, it leaves an ever lasting impression.
This backpack is best for everybody, be it office goers or fun riders, and suits on both genders.
4) VUZ Moto Dry Tank Bag Backpack 22 Liters (Premium waterproof backpack)
This one is a very handy backpack by VUZ, and the reason is that it serves dual purpose – it is a backpack, as well as a tank bag. The moment you want to give rest to your shoulders, you can mount it on your tank. And don’t worry this backpack has a non-scratch mounting base which will protect your tank.
Dimensions – 18″ H x 8″ D x 11″ W
Color – Premium
- a very durable and 100% waterproof fiber,
- a clear panel to fit your cell phones in the front,
- six strong magnets to attach it to a tank,
- many versatile storage compartments.
Overall this is a beautiful backpack with a lot of positive reviews from the customers. What concerns me though is that – not all motorbike tanks are metallic, and on such tanks the magnets are of no use. Although, it serves as a backpack too, and hence you can always wear it on your shoulders.
This backpack is very handy for long distance riders.
5) Shoei Backpack 2.0 – One Size
If you are new to backpacks, this is the product for you. This backpack has all the basics a rider needs. What grabs my attention is that it has been padded thick for electronics, and can accommodate a 17 inch laptop.
- removable helmet shield holder,
- side pocket which easily fits your drinks and cans,
- three-point buckle and flap system,
- reflective piping at the back and shoulder straps.
Overall the backpack is amazing and very useful. Product quality is also recommendable. Although it is not completely waterproof, but you need not worry because it is still water resistant.
This product is ideal for those who are first timers in using a backpack.
I personally use VELOMACCHI Roll-Top and OGIO MACH 5, and I am more than contended with the two. But all the five backpacks reviewed in this post, are extremely useful and are of the best quality. You can choose either of them.
See you on the road then, with the best pick and the most attractive one.